Røsnæsgården (The Roesnaes Farm)
The grounds of Røsnæsgården or Refsnæsgården have probably been used by Kalundborg Castle as pasture farm since the 14th century.
The farm was originally built on the south side of Røsnæs close to Kalundborg Fjord.
Completed in 1815, the current buildings were given the name Hestehavegård (literally: horse garden farm).
The buildings are high up on a plateau more or less in the middle of the grounds.
It was purchased in 1866 by Otto Lawaetz of Schleswig Holstein. He took over meadowland on which half of what he thought were sheep proved to be boulders.
He made a great effort to cultivate the land in accordance with modern principles.
The land was marled, drained and cleared of stones.
On the slopes you will see piles of field stones, many of which have signs of blast holes.
In 1950, the thatched farmhouse and cowshed burned to the ground.
The buildings were rebuilt with tiled roofs.
The cowshed, which used to be where the road now runs, was moved further south to its current location.
The Lawaetz family sold the farm to the Danish state in 1964.
In 1991, the main house was converted into a nature studies school and school camp.
The buildings south of the road are now used as staff accommodation and offices.
Three workers' cottages on the eastern boundary of the farm and the fishermen's cottage, which is rented out as a private summer cottage, also belong to the farm.
The eastern fields are still cultivated, although spreading liquid manure is no longer permitted and only a minimum of fertiliser may be used.
The use of fertilisers on the edges of the fields and around waterholes is prohibited.
The land to the west is permanent pasture which must neither be fertilised nor sprayed, in the hope that the area's flora will spread as the soil becomes impoverished.
Only visible from the outside