Of the 20 ovens that were built at the beginning of the 1900s, the two tar ovens in Hesselvig Plantage are the only to be restored. They have been brought back to their original state to show the production of charcoal and wood tar and, at the same time, they present a part of the period's culture history.
The ovens were operated from about 1910 and up to the years after the Second World War. The charcoal was used for heating and to be mixed into the pig and chicken feed. The extracted tar was used for impregnation.
By the ovens, a big roofed area is placed.