In the year of 1395 Her Majesty Queen Margrethe the 1st determined the demarcation of the common field at which the southern part of Riis Skov (Riis Forest) went to the town of Aarhus. The northern part of the forest were presented to the town by His Majesty King Christian the 3rd in 1542.
Riis Skov was bustling with entertainment offers
Riis Skov were the primary picnic destination for the citiziens of Aarhus in the 19th century and the forest became more and more visited. In the 19th century there was a wide range of entertainment including music three different places in the forest, at "Salonen" (now "Sjette Frederiks Kro" (restaurant) ), at Ferdinands Plads (square in the forest) and "Pavillionen" now a danhostel inn, Aarhus Vandrerhjem.
From the town of Aarhus it was possible to take a horse-drawn cab or the "skovbåde" ("boats of the forest") which sailed until 1938.
A crecreative area
The main purpose of the forest is still to be a recreative area for the citiziens of Aarhus city and the suburbs. Visitors are welcome in Riis Skov 24 hours and all months the year. The forest consists of a varied vegetation as well as a good system of paths and smaller roads.
Enjoy an excellent view of the Aahus Bay
From the western side (especially the south-western part) of the Riis Skov there is an excellent view over the Aarhus Bugt (Bay of Aarhus).
Forests in and around Aarhus
Walking and running routes in Aarhus
Last updated byVisitAarhus firstname.lastname@example.org
- Marked-out routes
- Coach park
CoordinatesLongitude : 10.224683
Latitude : 56.176997