Hiking along the Historic Trail, Hærvejen (14 km)
Hærvejen is (perhaps) Denmark’s most well-known hiking trail. Stretching hundreds of kilometres through central Jutland, the popular trail contains numerous hiking and cycling routes suitable for short and longer distances.
Hiking or cycling along the route will bring you close to the many wonderful experiences, the Danish countryside has to offer: the sea, the coastline, moorland, forests, stretches of open land and some of the most captivating locations with a reference to ancient times in Denmark.
In medieval times, Hærvejen led to the rest of the world, and everyone was allowed to travel along the trail. Peasants, merchants, travellers, soldiers and pilgrims travelled along Hærvejen, which is why today, the trail is considered to be Denmark’s pilgrim route.
Breathtaking Scenery along Hærvejen
Some of the most beautiful scenery along Hærvejen is found between Viborg and Dollerup Bakker. The stage stretching 14 km from the Cathedral in the heart of Viborg to the ice cream shop in Dollerup Bakker is the perfect distance for a day trip. Along the way, you and your family can have a dip in the cool lake, experience Hald Hovedgård and the red barracks, De Røde Barakker, just as you can have fun at the forest playground Børnenes Hald. All while getting your very own sense of Hærvejen’s fascinating history.
- Virtual, interactive map
- Download the Hærvejen app: App Store or Google Play
- Printer friendly map (PDF).
- Be sure to download the app as well as any relevant maps before you go.
- Distance: 14 km
- Level of difficulty: Medium
- Expected duration: 3½ – 4½ hours. Plus additional time for breaks and sudden impulses.
- Suited for children: Yes
- ATM access: Yes, in Viborg before you set out
- Toilet access: Yes, by the ice cream shop in Dollerup Bakker
- Food and beverages: The route ends at the ice cream shop in Dollerup Bakker, which is a cosy café situated with a beautiful view of Hald Sø. Here, they focus on good and organic ingredients. The shop is open during school holidays and a few weekends during the rest of the year.
Stops along the Way
- The Viborg Lakes
- Viborg Plantage
- De Fem Hald'er
- Hald Lake and Dollerup Hills
- Hærvejstæppet (embroidered wall hanging)
How to Shorten the journey – If You Want to Go for Just Half a Day
The most interesting part of the journey is the stretch between Hald Ege and Dollerup Bakker ice cream shop and these are suggestions for shorter trips:
- Park your car at the lay-by next to Hotel Egeskoven and get on Hærvejen just behind the hotel. From here, the distance to Dollerup ice cream shop is 5 kilometres.
- Or you can park your car at the large parking space by Hald Hovedgård. Go due west for app. 300 metres and get on Hærvejen from there. The distance from Hald Hovedgård to Dollerup ice cream shop is 3 kilometres.
Transport Back to Viborg
If your car is parked in Viborg city centre, a bus can take you back. Bus service 712 stops 400 metres away from Dollerup ice cream shop at Ravnsbjergvej. The service only runs on weekdays (not on the weekend). Bus service 53 runs daily, and the bus stop is found 2 km away from Dollerup ice cream shop (at Guldborgvej). Go to Rejseplanen.dk for timetables.
Alternatively, set out by parking a bike by Dollerup ice cream shop and ride back to Viborg for your car after your hike. Meanwhile, the rest of your family can stay by the shop and enjoy a lovely ice cream, while they wait.